French 3 (A1+ → A2-)
Level: Beginner (0/A2)
Have you followed the French level 2 course and do you want to develop yourself further? Or do you have knowledge of French in a different way and do you want to take your language skills to a higher level? In the French level 3 course you will work towards language level A2-.
Please note: this course is given in Dutch.
Starting from 16 April 2024
About French 3
The French level 3 course focuses on speaking and writing.
- You learn how to express nuanced views, preferences or opinions. You also learn how to describe words, objects and people in French. Ideal for when you just can’t think of a particular word.
- You practise with time clauses in a sentence. You will learn when to use past and completed tenses and how to use other ways to include a time clause in a sentence. You will recognise a subjunctive or negation in a sentence and be able to apply these rules orally.
- As in any language, the French do not always speak by the book. The language has many layers, such as colloquial language, informal language and youth language. Under the guidance of an experienced teacher, you will work with these forms of the French language, for example through short writing assignments or presentations. Recognising and applying common expressions will become a piece of cake for you.
In the French level 3 course you work towards language level A2-.
After completing this French course:
- you can give a substantiated opinion and describe words in French.
- you will be able to speak French with more confidence thanks to your knowledge of colloquial language
- you are ready for the French level 4 course.
- The teaching method we use in this course is the book Le nouveau taxi! (workbook and textbook). This method is specially designed to teach adults to speak French in a fast way. Each chapter contains a listening text, a grammar topic, a speaking exercise and a pronunciation exercise. We assume you have the book with you during the first meeting.
- Each lesson begins with a discussion of homework and a brief review of the previous meeting.
- Using audio recordings, you will work on listening exercises and learn to understand French native speakers. An important part of the meetings is practising conversations. You do this in pairs, together with another student.
- French 3 consists of 9 sessions of 1,5 hours at Babel in Utrecht or in the virtual classroom.
- To ensure that you learn as much as possible from the classes, you should expect to spend approximately 2 to 3 hours per week on study and the completion of materials and assignments, which will be discussed during the classes.
- The teacher will speak French as much as possible. Participants can ask questions in French or in Dutch.
- You can order the necessary books for this course via our website’s Order Books page. The method contains a lot of (extra) online learning material, including listening exercises. You should make sure to have the book before the start of the first lesson.
- You will receive a certificate if you attend at least 8 of the 9 classes.
- Do you work at Utrecht University or are you registered as an (exchange) student at the university? Then you get a 15% discount on this course! Register with your UU e-mail address, and the discount will be automatically processed.
Starting date: 16 April 2024 (Virtual Classroom)
Day Date Start End Tuesday 16 April 2024 18:30 20:00 Tuesday 23 April 2024 18:30 20:00 Tuesday 30 April 2024 18:30 20:00 Tuesday 7 May 2024 18:30 20:00 Tuesday 14 May 2024 18:30 20:00 Tuesday 21 May 2024 18:30 20:00 Tuesday 28 May 2024 18:30 20:00 Tuesday 4 June 2024 18:30 20:00 Tuesday 11 June 2024 18:30 20:00