English Intermediate – compact (B1)
Is your English good enough to follow the basics of what you hear and read, but you find that you miss some of the details? Do you feel nervous when you have to speak in longer sentences? Would you like to learn or revise more of the grammar and vocabulary you need for your daily life, working at home on self-study tasks as well as in class? Sign up for our B1 Compact course!
€ 410,00Sign up
Starting from 7 September 2021+ 1 more dates
About the course
This course is for students who are at level A2. This means that you can already introduce yourself and your opinions and ideas, but you sometimes find it difficult to do this fluently. You can also probably write simple, clear information, but you may have to do a bit of Google translating to be sure it’s right.
In this course, our teachers will help you to learn how to take your English to the next level. They will work on fluency in both writing and speaking, adding to your knowledge of grammar and vocabulary. You will learn how to make polite requests, describe people and situations, and explain your ideas and plans.
This course will also give you the language you need to succeed in the Cambridge English Preliminary Exam (B1). If you want to learn more about the exam tasks and techniques, you can register for our Preliminary Exam Training class, which you can add onto the end of this course.
- By the end of this course, you will feel more confident using English and know many more words and phrases that help you in your daily life. You will be able to make longer, and more accurate sentences, and communicate ideas that are a bit more complicated. You will be able to send emails that are clear and accurate. You will be able to participate in meetings and discussions in English with greater ease.
- You can add to this course with our specialised Cambridge Preliminary Exam training, if your goal is to get a certificate proving you are at level B1.
- Babel is a Cambridge exam centre, in partnership with the British Council. We are highly experienced in preparing students for their Cambridge exams and will support you every step of the way towards success in your exam.
We use the book English File Intermediate with additional materials especially designed for this compact form course. Your trainer will work on activities from the book with you in every lesson, but will add other things too, depending on what you need.
All Babel’s courses are taught by highly-qualified, professional teachers and are interactive, fun, and focused on students’ needs. This means we:
- Are flexible to what a group needs
- Ask for your feedback on how the lessons are going, and respond to what you tell us
- Use high-quality materials
- Do a lot of speaking activities, in small groups and as a whole group
- Teach grammar and vocabulary in a way that connects them to real life use
- Encourage students to learn outside the classroom too
- This course consists of 9 face-to-face (or virtually taught) classes of 1hr45 minutes and 9 self-study classes of 1hr45 minutes. Students will need to keep up with the work for their self-study lessons, which will include submitting writing assignments and doing learning activities online. When you do this is up to you.
- Alongside this, you will need to do some homework and preparation for your classroom lessons. You should expect to spend at least 2 hours a week on this.
- However, the more time you give to learning, the more you will benefit. There are lots of exercises to practise at home. There are lots of websites where you can read more English texts, and lots of ways to listen to more English. Your teacher will show you these, and you can decide for yourself how much you want to do.
The language of instruction is English.
- You will be working with a book. You can order this book on our special book page. Please ensure you have your book ready for the first session.
- If you are learning online, you can order the e-book version of the student book. You can do this here.
- You will receive a certificate of participation if you follow at least 80% of the classes.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address. Your registration will then be processed automatically.
- Starting date: 7 September 2021 (Utrecht)
Day Date Start End Tuesday 7 September 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 14 September 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 21 September 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 28 September 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 5 October 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 12 October 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 19 October 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 26 October 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 2 November 2021 18:00 19:45
- Starting date: 22 November 2021 (Virtual Classroom)
Day Date Start End Monday 22 November 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 29 November 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 6 December 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 13 December 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 20 December 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 3 January 2022 20:00 21:45 Monday 10 January 2022 20:00 21:45 Monday 17 January 2022 20:00 21:45 Monday 24 January 2022 20:00 21:45