Business English Upper-Intermediate course (B1 → B2)
Level: Upper-Intermediate (B1/B2)
Would you like to improve or refresh your Business English skills for your current job or for a new role? Do you sometimes wish you were more persuasive when speaking English? Or do you sometimes struggle to find the right words to express your opinions? This course will help you to achieve your professional goals in a way that is flexible to your professional language-learning needs.
Do you want to make use of the STAP budget? Please follow the steps on this page.
Starting from 5 February 2024+ 3 more dates
About the course
In this course you will look at how to improve your business communication, both spoken and written. You will work with one of our expert language trainers on a range of professional tasks and projects that will allow you to put your newly-obtained skills into practice in your own work. Intercultural communication and business small-talk will be a part of the course.
In this course, you will learn how to speak more persuasively. For example when presenting but also when trying to argue for your point of view. We will work together on your presentation skills, including handling tricky questions and situations during the presentation, and help you to become more spontaneous and fluent in your speech. You will also look at business writing skills so you can become more accurate and efficient when you need to write in English.
You can start this course if your level is B1. Would you like to know your current language level? Try our free language level test!
By the end of the course you will have:
- developed your Business English vocabulary so you can express yourself better in a business context.
- learned how to express more nuanced opinions and give convincing presentations and pitches in English.
- enhanced your knowledge of Business English writing conventions, improved your own business writing skills and practised writing clear and structured emails.
- learned how to work more effectively in intercultural business settings.
- become more confident communicating in your workplace.
- We will work on practical exercises with an emphasis on cooperative work and task-based activities such as short presentations. Vocabulary development will be done in class and at home. Grammar will be revised when necessary. You will receive regular feedback on your spoken and written skills.
- The teacher will challenge you (and the group) to get the most out of the course. Due to our personal approach, you will be able to work on your own learning goals in a welcoming and safe teaching environment.
- This course will take place over nine weeks.
- In addition to these sessions, you should give at least 2 hours each week to self-study and completion of homework.
- The language of instruction is English.
- You can order the book for this course via our book page. We expect that all students will have the course materials with them for their first lesson.
- You will receive a certificate of participation if you attend at least 8 meetings.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address. Your registration will then be processed automatically.
Starting date: 5 February 2024 (Utrecht)
Day Date Start End Monday 5 February 2024 18:00 19:45 Monday 12 February 2024 18:00 19:45 Monday 19 February 2024 18:00 19:45 Monday 26 February 2024 18:00 19:45 Monday 4 March 2024 18:00 19:45 Monday 11 March 2024 18:00 19:45 Monday 18 March 2024 18:00 19:45 Monday 25 March 2024 18:00 19:45 Monday 8 April 2024 18:00 19:45
Starting date: 8 February 2024 (Virtual Classroom)
Day Date Start End Thursday 8 February 2024 20:00 21:45 Thursday 15 February 2024 20:00 21:45 Thursday 22 February 2024 20:00 21:45 Thursday 29 February 2024 20:00 21:45 Thursday 7 March 2024 20:00 21:45 Thursday 14 March 2024 20:00 21:45 Thursday 21 March 2024 20:00 21:45 Thursday 28 March 2024 20:00 21:45 Thursday 4 April 2024 20:00 21:45
Starting date: 16 April 2024 (Virtual Classroom)
Day Date Start End Tuesday 16 April 2024 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 23 April 2024 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 30 April 2024 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 7 May 2024 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 14 May 2024 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 21 May 2024 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 28 May 2024 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 4 June 2024 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 11 June 2024 18:00 19:45
Starting date: 18 April 2024 (Utrecht)
Day Date Start End Thursday 18 April 2024 20:00 21:45 Thursday 25 April 2024 20:00 21:45 Thursday 2 May 2024 20:00 21:45 Thursday 16 May 2024 20:00 21:45 Thursday 23 May 2024 20:00 21:45 Thursday 30 May 2024 20:00 21:45 Thursday 6 June 2024 20:00 21:45 Thursday 13 June 2024 20:00 21:45 Thursday 20 June 2024 20:00 21:45