Level: Intermediate (B1/B2), Advanced (C1/C2)
Do you want to feel more confident in English during your studies? This course aims to enhance your English language skills of students at Bachelor and Master level. Following the programme will improve your academic writing and the presenting and speaking skills you need in your studies. You will activate and expand your English academic vocabulary and develop your fluency in English.
During the lockdown (at least until 2 March), all our on-site courses will be taught in the virtual classroom. As soon as it is possible, we will switch back to teaching on location. So, you can enrol without any problems for an on-site language course. We offer you a worry-free start to your course with our flexible booking policy.
See how Anouk found the virtual classroom here (in Dutch).
About the course Academic English
This integrated skills course aims to further develop your academic writing and speaking abilities, helping you to gain more confidence and become more competent in your use of Academic English. You will also expand your academic vocabulary and receive regular feedback on your writing. In addition, you will discover your own strengths and weaknesses in academic writing in English.
Topics covered will include:
- Recognising and analysing academic texts
- Text cohesion (for example, through linking words)
- Delivering presentations with greater fluency
- Academic style (formal and informal writing)
The course is suitable for any Bachelor or Master student at minimum B2 level.
Not sure of your level? Take our free placement test.
By the end of the course you will have:
- expanded your academic vocabulary;
- improved your fluency in English;
- learned how to analyse academic texts;
- improved your academic writing style;
- learned how to structure an academic paper;
- practised with delivering academic presentations;
- acquired self-study strategies.
During this interactive course there will be individual assignments, but we will also be working in pairs, small groups or in plenary. You will receive regular structured feedback on both your written work and presentation skills. Giving peer feedback to fellow students is also part of the course.
This course consists of 8 sessions of 1 hour and 45 minutes. The advised self-study load is 2-3 hours a week.
- This course is offered both on-site and in the virtual classroom. You can enrol for your preferred option using the buttons above. All our on-site classes are taught in a small group. You can find an overview of all the measures we have taken against the coronavirus here.
- The language of instruction is English.
- You will be working with a book. You can order this book on our special book page. Please ensure you have your book ready for the first session.
- You will receive a certificate of participation if you follow at least 80% of the classes.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address. Your registration will then be processed automatically.
- Starting date: 21 April 2021 (Virtual Classroom)
Day Date Start End Wednesday 21 April 2021 11:00 12:45 Wednesday 28 April 2021 11:00 12:45 Wednesday 5 May 2021 11:00 12:45 Wednesday 12 May 2021 11:00 12:45 Wednesday 19 May 2021 11:00 12:45 Wednesday 26 May 2021 11:00 12:45 Wednesday 2 June 2021 11:00 12:45 Wednesday 9 June 2021 11:00 12:45
- Starting date: 22 April 2021 (Utrecht)
Day Date Start End Thursday 22 April 2021 13:30 15:15 Thursday 29 April 2021 13:30 15:15 Thursday 6 May 2021 13:30 15:15 Thursday 20 May 2021 13:30 15:15 Thursday 27 May 2021 13:30 15:15 Thursday 3 June 2021 13:30 15:15 Thursday 10 June 2021 13:30 15:15