Upper-Intermediate Dutch (B2) compact
Level: Intermediate (B1/B2)
Can you speak Dutch but do you lack the skills to easily hold a conversation on unfamiliar topics? Then our Advanced Dutch course is perfect for you. On this course, you can bring your Dutch listening, reading, writing and speaking skills to a high level.
€ 760,00Sign up
Starting from 15 November 2021
About the course
The course will prepare you for the State Exam in Dutch as a Second Language (Staatsexamen NT2), and therefore focuses on the skills and learning goals relevant to the state exam, such as taking a Dutch-language training course or working for a Dutch company. There is extensive practice of the four skills of listening, reading, writing and speaking, and attention will be paid to revising and expanding students’ knowledge of grammar and vocabulary. Topics covered on the course include: nature and the countryside, the environment, safety and health, the economy and work, and science.
This is course is suitable for individuals who have either:
- a certificate in Intermediate Dutch (B1);
- a Commone European Framework of Reference (CEFR) score of at least B1 in the areas of language structure, writing and self-assessment; or
- a recommendation to study at level B2 after completion of our online placement test.
By the end of the course, students will:
- Understand texts that concern abstract subject, such as the economy and science;
- Be able to speak more fluently and without preparation to Dutch native speakers;
- Have acquired sufficient skill in writing to be able to write in detail about a current topic.
During the lessons, the focus will mainly be on speaking and listening activities, with explanations from the teacher on grammar and vocabulary. Students work in groups, pairs or alone. The language of instruction is Dutch. The teachers are experienced personal-coaching professionals, meaning that we make sure students can achieve their full potential.
This course has the same content as the regular B2 course, but the number of lessons is reduced by half: there are 17 lessons instead of 34, each lasting one hour and 45 minutes. The total length of the course is the same, meaning that students have one lesson per week instead of two. Alongside the lessons, students can access additional material from the online learning platform attached to the course. This course is thus a good alternative to the standard B2 course for those with a busy work schedule or those in full-time education.
Since the number of lessons is smaller than on the standard course, more investment of time is needed in self-study or homework (6-8 hours per week). The self-study tasks (reading, writing, grammar and vocabulary) are described clearly on the online learning platform, which also contains the course plan and other materials.
- This course is offered both on-site and in the virtual classroom. You can enrol for your preferred option using the buttons above. All our on-site classes are taught in a small group. You can find an overview of all the measures we have taken against the coronavirus here.
- The course material consists of the book De finale, which has been specially developed to prepare those with a higher educational level for Programme 2 of the State Exam in Dutch as a Second Language. The book contains practical tasks and exercises that also appear in the exam, as well as a language guide with practical tips and a grammar manual. In addition, more material can be found on the online learning platform, including a range of tasks which can be submitted online.
- The language of instruction on the course is Dutch. Students who attend a minimum of 80% of the lessons and who complete the homework tasks will receive a certificate. There is no final exam.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address. Your registration will then be processed automatically.
- Starting date: 15 November 2021
Day Date Start End Monday 15 November 2021 18:00 19:45 Monday 22 November 2021 18:00 19:45 Monday 29 November 2021 18:00 19:45 Monday 6 December 2021 18:00 19:45 Monday 13 December 2021 18:00 19:45 Monday 20 December 2021 18:00 19:45 Monday 3 January 2022 18:00 19:45 Monday 10 January 2022 18:00 19:45 Monday 17 January 2022 18:00 19:45 Monday 24 January 2022 18:00 19:45 Monday 7 February 2022 18:00 19:45 Monday 14 February 2022 18:00 19:45 Monday 21 February 2022 18:00 19:45 Monday 28 February 2022 18:00 19:45 Monday 7 March 2022 18:00 19:45 Monday 14 March 2022 18:00 19:45 Monday 21 March 2022 18:00 19:45