Intermediate Dutch (B1) compact
Level: Intermediate (B1/B2)
The intermediate-level Dutch language course will get you speaking better Dutch and will give you more confidence when speaking to native Dutch speakers.
€ 760,00Sign up
Starting from 6 September 2021+ 1 more dates
About the course Intermediate Dutch B1 compact
On this course, we move on from communicating about practical matters, such as placing an order, or talking about one’s health, to communicating about abstract ideas. This means that you will understand the main ideas of many Dutch texts and will be able to give your opinion on a variety of topics in Dutch.
Topics covered during the course will include studying, working, living together, housing arrangements, politics and art.
This course is suitable for students who have either:
- a certificate in Dutch for Beginners (level A);
- a Common European Framework (CEF) score of at least level A2 in language structures, writing and self-assessment; or
- a recommendation to study at level B1 after completion of our online placement test.
This Intermediate Dutch course is aimed to those who wish to achieve level B1 in a short period of time. You can start with level A2. You will need to test your level. This can be done through our online placement test.
By the end of the course:
- Students will be able to write effective texts in Dutch on topics they are familiar with
- Students will be able to use Dutch to describe their experiences, hopes and ambitions
- Students will be able to use Dutch to give a reason for certain events and give their opinion on straightforward social topics.
During the lessons, the focus will mainly be on speaking and listening activities, with explanations from the teacher on grammar and vocabulary. Students work in groups, pairs or alone. The language of instruction is Dutch. The teachers are experienced personal-coaching professionals, meaning that we make sure students can achieve their full potential.
- The Dutch B1 blended course has the same content as the regular B1 course, but the number of lessons is reduced by half: there are 17 lessons instead of 34, each lasting one hour and 45 minutes. The total length of the course is the same, meaning that students have one lesson per week instead of two. Alongside the lessons, students can access additional material from the online learning platform attached to the course. This course is thus a good alternative to the standard B1 course for those with a busy work schedule or those in full-time education.
- Since the number of lessons is smaller than on the standard course, more investment of time is needed in self-study or homework (8-10 hours per week). The self-study tasks (reading, writing, grammar and vocabulary) are described clearly on the online learning platform, which also contains the course plan and other materials.
- This course is offered both on-site and in the virtual classroom. You can enrol for your preferred option using the buttons above. All our on-site classes are taught in a small group. You can find an overview of all the measures we have taken against the coronavirus here.
- The course material we use is De sprong (‘The Leap’), a book which has been specially developed for learners with a higher educational level who have already mastered the basics of Dutch, but who are not yet ready to take Programme 2 of the State Exam in Dutch (Staatsexamen programma 2). Additional material can be found on the online learning platform, including a range of tasks which can be submitted online.
- Students’ progress in their skills of listening, reading, writing and speaking will be individually assessed halfway through the course. At the end of the course there are exams in writing and speaking.
- Students who attend a minimum of 80% of the lessons and who complete all homework tasks will receive a certificate.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address. Your registration will then be processed automatically.
- Starting date: 6 September 2021 (Virtual Classroom)
Day Date Start End Monday 6 September 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 13 September 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 20 September 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 27 September 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 4 October 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 11 October 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 18 October 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 25 October 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 1 November 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 15 November 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 22 November 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 29 November 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 6 December 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 13 December 2021 20:00 21:45 Monday 3 January 2022 20:00 21:45 Monday 10 January 2022 20:00 21:45 Monday 17 January 2022 20:00 21:45
- Starting date: 16 November 2021 (Utrecht)
Day Date Start End Tuesday 16 November 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 23 November 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 30 November 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 7 December 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 14 December 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 21 December 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 4 January 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 11 January 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 18 January 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 25 January 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 8 February 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 15 February 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 22 February 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 1 March 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 8 March 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 15 March 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 22 March 2022 18:00 19:45