French level 2 (for non-Dutch speakers)
Level: Beginner (0/A2)
In this follow-up course you will enlarge your basic knowledge of French by means of short listening and reading texts, vocabulary, grammar and simple interaction. You will also learn more about the culture. This course also serves as preparation for our French course level 3.
During the lockdown (at least until 2 March), all our on-site courses will be taught in the virtual classroom. As soon as it is possible, we will switch back to teaching on location. So, you can enrol without any problems for an on-site language course. We offer you a worry-free start to your course with our flexible booking policy.
See how Anouk found the virtual classroom here (in Dutch).
About the French level 2 (for non-Dutch speakers) course
If you can speak French, you can get by in a host of countries: not only France but also Canada, Belgium and several African countries.
Participants cover Le nouveau taxi. Each lesson will contain at least one listening activity, one grammar topic, speaking skills exercises and a focus on pronunciation. The teacher may also spend time on ‘the study of France’, informing the class about habits, customs and developments in France.
This French level 2 (for non-Dutch speakers) course is aimed to those who wish to achieve level A1 in a short period of time. Participants need to have followed approximately 20 lesson hours of French (40 hours including self-study). Click on this link and do the test. You can also read the level descriptions.
By the end of French level 2, participants will be able to:
- understand simple, short, spoken and written texts;
- express themselves in a range of simple everyday situations, such as introducing oneself, saying where you work or what your nationality is;
- conjugate the most common verbs;
- formulate questions and negative statements;
- use the possessive pronoun correctly;
- pronounce French words correctly, according to the rules of pronunciation.
The teacher will teach grammar and lessons from the book to the whole group and will make use of a CD for listening practice. An important part of the lessons is speaking practice in pairs, followed by follow-up as a class.
You can order all books required for the course on our special book page. Please ensure you bring your books to the first session.
The French level 2 (for non-Dutch speakers) course consists of 9 sessions at Babel in Utrecht. The advised self-study load is 2-3 hours a week. It is important not only to do your homework, but also to regularly spend time working on building up your vocabulary.
- This course is offered on-site as a face-to-face class in a small group. You can find an overview of all the measures we have taken against the coronavirus here.
- The language of instruction is English during the lessons, but the teacher will speak French where necessary. Participants can ask questions in English.
- You can order all books required for the course on our special book page. Please ensure you bring your books to the first session.
- Active participation is preferred during the course meetings and ample time for self-study, preferably spread out evenly over the week. You will receive a certificate of participation if you attend at least 80% of the meetings. There is no final exam for this course. If desired, an optional test may be set.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address. Your registration will then be processed automatically.