English Upper-Intermediate – compact (B2)
Level: Intermediate (B1/B2)
Ready to go to the next level with your English? Are you already able to use English for practical daily life activities but now want to go beyond this into expressing more developed ideas in speaking and writing? Are you looking to expand or refresh your vocabulary and grammar knowledge in a fast-paced course with a lot of self-study? This compact B2 course is perfect for you!
€ 410,00Sign up
Starting from 7 September 2021+ 1 more dates
About the course
This course is for students who are at level B1. This means that you can already talk with people in English about yourself and your opinions and ideas, and you probably sometimes read English news and watch TV in English (with subtitles), but you don’t always know exactly how to say what you want to say. Maybe in your writing you know you make some grammar mistakes, but you’re not quite sure how to fix them. You might also have learned English in school but have forgotten a lot of the finer points!
In this course, our teachers will help you to take your English to the next level. They will work on fluency and accuracy in both writing and speaking, adding to your knowledge of grammar and vocabulary. You will look at how to give more detailed, abstract and nuanced information. You will have lots of chances to speak and receive feedback on your spoken production. This course will also give you the language you need to succeed in the Cambridge English B2 First exam.
- This course will take you towards level B2. You will feel considerably more confident using English and will know many more words and phrases that help you to express yourself in speaking and writing. You will be able to present and discuss abstract ideas and information more easily. You will have practising speaking on a range of topics.
- You will probably understand a lot more of the English you read and hear around you too. Maybe you’ll risk turning the subtitles off in a film every now and then!
- You can add to this course with our specialised Cambridge First Exam Training, if your goal is to get a certificate proving you are at level B2. Babel is a Cambridge exam centre, in partnership with the British Council. We are highly experienced in preparing students for their Cambridge exams and will support you every step of the way towards success in your exam.
We use the book English File Intermediate with additional materials especially designed for this compact form course. Your trainer will work on activities from the book with you in every lesson, but will add other things too, depending on what you need.
All Babel’s courses are taught by highly-qualified, professional teachers and are interactive, fun, and focused on students’ needs. This means we:
- Are flexible to what a group needs
- Ask for your feedback on how the lessons are going, and respond to what you tell us
- Use high-quality materials
- Do a lot of speaking activities, in small groups and as a whole group
- Teach grammar and vocabulary in a way that connects them to real life use
- Encourage students to learn outside the classroom too
- This course consists of 9 face-to-face (or virtually taught) classes of 1hr45 minutes and 9 self-study classes of 1hr45 minutes. Students will need to keep up with the work for their self-study lessons, which will include submitting writing assignments and doing learning activities online. When you do this is up to you.
- Alongside this, you will need to do some homework and preparation for your classroom lessons. You should expect to spend at least 2 hours a week on this.
- However, the more time you give to learning, the more you will benefit. There are lots of exercises to practise at home available to you. There are also many websites where you can read more English texts, and many ways to listen to more English. Your teacher will show you some of these, and you can decide for yourself how much you want to do. We recommend jumping in!
- The language of instruction is English.
- You will be working with a book. You can order this book on our special book page. Please ensure you have your book ready for the first session.
- If you are learning online, you can order the e-book version of the student book. You can do this here.
- You will receive a certificate of participation if you follow at least 80% of the classes.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address. Your registration will then be processed automatically.
- Starting date: 7 September 2021
Day Date Start End Tuesday 7 September 2021 20:00 21:45 Tuesday 14 September 2021 20:00 21:45 Tuesday 21 September 2021 20:00 21:45 Tuesday 28 September 2021 20:00 21:45 Tuesday 5 October 2021 20:00 21:45 Tuesday 12 October 2021 20:00 21:45 Tuesday 19 October 2021 20:00 21:45 Tuesday 26 October 2021 20:00 21:45 Tuesday 2 November 2021 20:00 21:45
- Starting date: 16 November 2021
Day Date Start End Tuesday 16 November 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 23 November 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 30 November 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 7 December 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 14 December 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 21 December 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 4 January 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 11 January 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 18 January 2022 18:00 19:45