Business English Advanced course (B2 → C1)
Level: Advanced (B2/C1)
Would you like to take your business English skills to the next level? Are you looking to perfect and develop your professional English communication, either in your current role or for the future? This advanced business course will help you to become more persuasive, accurate and nuanced in your use of English.
Do you want to make use of the STAP budget? Please follow the steps on this page.
Starting from 15 November 2022+ 1 more dates
About the course
You will look at how to improve your business communication to reach a high level of fluency and accuracy. You will work on tasks at C1 level, supporting you to use English more flexibly and confidently in your workplace. We will help you to develop your understanding of persuasive communication and intercultural business contexts.
Throughout this course, you and your classmates will work on a range of practical business tasks and roleplays. You will practise more complex business writing tasks, you will improve your networking skills and you will learn to negotiate effectively during meetings. Moreover, you will learn how to recognise and use different professional communication styles and how to move between using formal and informal language more naturally.
This course will connect to your own work contexts, so you can put your knowledge directly into practise. You will receive a high level of personal attention and feedback tailored to your professional needs.
You can start this course if your level is B2. By the end of the course you will have:
- improved your ability to build arguments and to state nuanced, clear opinions;
- learned how to negotiate persuasively in English;
- looked at the best ways to network effectively;
- taken your English to a level that allows you to manage, inspire and coach your colleagues;
- learned how and when to use formal and informal language;
- developed your awareness of intercultural communication skills in a business context.
- We will work on practical exercises with an emphasis on cooperative work and task-based activities such as short presentations. Vocabulary development will be done in class and at home. Grammar will be revised when necessary. You will receive regular feedback on your spoken and written skills.
- The teacher will challenge you (and the group) to get the most out of the course. Due to our personal approach, you will be able to work on your own learning goals in a relaxed teaching environment.
- This course will take place over nine weeks.
- In addition to these sessions, you should give at least 2 hours each week to self-study and completion of homework.
- The language of instruction is English.
- You can order the book for this course via our book page. We expect that all students will have the course materials with them for their first lesson.
- You will receive a certificate of participation if you attend at least 8 meetings.
- If you work at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address. Your registration will then be processed automatically.
Starting date: 15 November 2022 (Virtual Classroom)
Day Date Start End Tuesday 15 November 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 22 November 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 29 November 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 6 December 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 13 December 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 20 December 2022 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 3 January 2023 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 10 January 2023 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 17 January 2023 18:00 19:45
Starting date: 16 November 2022 (Utrecht)
Day Date Start End Wednesday 16 November 2022 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 23 November 2022 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 30 November 2022 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 7 December 2022 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 14 December 2022 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 21 December 2022 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 4 January 2023 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 11 January 2023 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 18 January 2023 18:00 19:45