Elementary Dutch (A) blended
Level: Beginner (0/A2)
In this Dutch language course for beginners (A) blended you will get a basic knowledge of Dutch vocabulary and grammar. After this course you will be able to understand elementary texts and participate in short everyday conversation.
During the lockdown (at least until 2 March), all our on-site courses will be taught in the virtual classroom. As soon as it is possible, we will switch back to teaching on location. So, you can enrol without any problems for an on-site language course. We offer you a worry-free start to your course with our flexible booking policy.
See how Anouk found the virtual classroom here (in Dutch).
About the Elementary Dutch (A) blended course
The beginner course Dutch (A) blended has the same content as the regular A course, but the number of lessons is reduced by half: there are 17 lessons instead of 34, each lasting one hour and 45 minutes. The total length of the course is the same, meaning that students have one lesson per week instead of two. Alongside the lessons, students can access additional material from the online learning platform attached to the course. This course is thus a good alternative to the standard A course for those with a busy work schedule or those in full-time education.
In this course you learn Dutch in everyday situations, such as introducing yourself, shopping, ordering something, travelling, talking about themes like hobbies, housing, your health, etc. You learn to understand easy reading texts and audio fragments and participate in everyday conversation.
This course is suitable for students who have:
- a reasonable knowledge of English
- a higher educational level
- enough time available for self study
In this beginner course of Dutch you will reach level A2. At the start of the course, you don’t need to have any knowledge of Dutch, but you must be able to study independently and have enough time for self study (to repeat and master the study material offered). The method used is not suitable for those who haven’t got a level of higher education.
By the end of the course:
- Students will be able to understand basic reading texts and easy dialogues.
- Students will be able to participate in everyday conversation in practical situations.
- Students will be able to write short texts (emails, messages) in Dutch.
During the lessons, the students work in groups, pairs or alone. In principle, the language of instruction is Dutch, but the teacher will sometimes give instruction in English, so a reasonable knowledge of English is required. The teachers are experienced personal-coaching professionals, meaning that we make sure students can achieve their full potential.
The Dutch A blended course consists of 17 sessions of one hour and 45 minutes at Babel in Utrecht or in the virtual classroom.
Since the number of lessons is smaller than on the standard course, more investment of time is needed in self-study or homework (6-8 hours per week). The self-study tasks (reading, writing, grammar and vocabulary) are described clearly on the online learning platform, which also contains the course plan and other materials.
- This course is offered both on-site and in the virtual classroom. You can enrol for your preferred option using the buttons above. All our on-site classes are taught in a small group. You can find an overview of all the measures we have taken against the coronavirus here.
- The course material we use is De Opmaat, a book which has been especially developed for learners with a higher educational level who want to learn the basics of Dutch and be able to use the language in elementary situations. The books contains texts and exercises especially written for this level, but also authentic short fragments from brochures or from internet, thus making the study material more natural and appealing. Additional material can be found on the online learning platform, including a range of tasks which can be handed in to the teacher.
- Students who attend a minimum of 80% of the lessons, will receive a certificate.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address. Your registration will then be processed automatically.
- Starting date: 20 April 2021
Day Date Start End Tuesday 20 April 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 4 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 11 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 18 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 1 June 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 8 June 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 15 June 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 22 June 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 6 July 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 13 July 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 20 July 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 27 July 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 3 August 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 10 August 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 17 August 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 24 August 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 31 August 2021 18:00 19:45