Chinese 1 course (A0 → A1-)
Level: Beginner (0/A2)
The Chinese Level 1 course is designed for those who have not learned Chinese before. This course introduces you to the Chinese phonetic spelling Pinyin and teaches you how to write Chinese characters. This will enable you to quickly improve your Chinese language skills in the various follow-up courses.
Please note: this course is given in Dutch.
Starting from 6 February 2024+ 1 more dates
About Chinese 1
Did you know that a syllable can have many different meanings in Chinese? This is because the meaning depends on the pitch at which it is pronounced and its place in the sentence. Sounds, intonation and pitch therefore form the basis of the Chinese language.
You will be introduced to the five sounds of Chinese and to the transcription system Pinyin. This is the transcription of Standard Mandarin into Latin letters as you are used to. You learn, for example, how to pronounce Pinyin, how to recognise the root of a verb and how to indicate the pitch (and therefore the meaning) of a syllable.
Of course, you will also be introduced to the basic strokes of the authentic Chinese characters and the order in which they are written. You will also learn to count in Chinese and become familiar with common Chinese expressions.
In Chinese level 1 you will work towards language level A1-. Not sure what your language level is? Then take our free placement test.
After completing this course:
- you will know the complete Chinese phonetic system and be able to pronounce each syllable in pinyin.
- you understand the strokes of Chinese characters and writing rules.
- you can greet people and introduce yourself.
- you can ask friends how they are doing and answer the same question.
- you can type characters on your computer and phone.
- you are ready for the Chinese level 2 course.
- The language of instruction is Dutch and the book is in English.
- During these meetings, you will work individually, in pairs or in class on interactive assignments.
- As a teaching method, we use ‘New Practical Chinese’. During the course, the teacher also uses additional teaching materials.
- During the course, many exercises are carried out independently or in groups.
- Chinese 1 consists of 9 sessions of 1,5 hours at Babel in Utrecht or in the virtual classroom.
- To ensure that you learn as much as possible from the classes, you should expect to spend approximately 2 to 3 hours per week on study and the completion of materials and assignments, which will be discussed during the classes.
- The language of instruction is Dutch.
- You can order the necessary books for this course via our website’s Order Books page. You should make sure to have the book before the start of the first lesson.
- You will receive a certificate if you attend at least 8 of the 9 classes.
- Do you work at Utrecht University or are you registered as an (exchange) student at the university? Then you get a 15% discount on this course! Register with your UU e-mail address, and the discount will be automatically processed.
Starting date: 6 February 2024 (Virtual Classroom)
Day Date Start End Tuesday 6 February 2024 20:15 21:45 Tuesday 13 February 2024 20:15 21:45 Tuesday 20 February 2024 20:15 21:45 Tuesday 27 February 2024 20:15 21:45 Tuesday 5 March 2024 20:15 21:45 Tuesday 12 March 2024 20:15 21:45 Tuesday 19 March 2024 20:15 21:45 Tuesday 26 March 2024 20:15 21:45 Tuesday 2 April 2024 20:15 21:45
Starting date: 8 February 2024 (Utrecht)
Day Date Start End Thursday 8 February 2024 20:15 21:45 Thursday 15 February 2024 20:15 21:45 Thursday 22 February 2024 20:15 21:45 Thursday 29 February 2024 20:15 21:45 Thursday 7 March 2024 20:15 21:45 Thursday 14 March 2024 20:15 21:45 Thursday 21 March 2024 20:15 21:45 Thursday 28 March 2024 20:15 21:45 Thursday 4 April 2024 20:15 21:45