Medical assessment – AKV test for academics

For those wishing to work as a doctor, dentist, pharmacist, psychotherapist, healthcare psychologist or clinical physicist, you must be registered in the BIG-register. Did you obtain your degree from outside the European Union or in Switzerland? Then your degree has to  first be approved. For this, a declaration of professional competence is required. This also applies to clinical technologists.

Assessment procedure

To determine whether this declaration can be issued, the assessment procedure must be followed. This procedure consists of two parts, namely the General Knowledge and Skills Test (AKV) and the specialised knowledge test. The results of these tests determine whether you receive a declaration of professional competence or if additional education is required. When you receive the declaration of professional competence, you can apply for your registration on the BIG register.

Dates and enrolment

General Knowledge and Skills Test (AKV)

The assessment procedure always starts with a General Knowledge and Skills test (AKV). The AKV tests your knowledge and skills of the Dutch and English language, the Dutch health care system and your ICT skills. In order to pass the AKV test, you need to:

  • Master the Dutch language at B2/C1 level;
  • Master the English language at B2/C1 level, which is comparable to IELTS 6.5 and TOEFL 600;
  • Have knowledge of the organisation, legislation, ethics and culture of the Dutch Health Care system.

If you have an IELTS, TOEFL or Cambridge certificate, you may be eligible for an exemption from the English component of the AKV test. In article 11 of the AKV rules and regulations you will find more information about the certificates that qualify you to receive an exemption.

»General Information AKV test (including information about preparation)
» Sample Test

Professional competence assessment

Once you have passed the AKV test , you may participate in the second part of the assessment procedure: a professional competence test. The results of the professional competence test determine whether you receive a declaration of professional competence or if additional education is required.

» More information about the professional competence assessment

Did you receive your certificate from inside the EEA? Then you should do the Dutch language test instead of AKV test.

Also study the information about the AKV test for MBO and HBO

Register!Exam training for the AKV-exam

Are you soon to take your Medical Assessment exam and would you like to be well prepared? This exam training course will help you practice important skills and improve your Dutch.