Medical assessment – AKV test for academics
We are now offering all examinations on location again. The health of our candidates and employees is important to us. To ensure that exams and tests can be carried out safely, we have taken the following measures:
- Tables and chairs will be placed at least 1.5 meters apart
- Hand sanitiser will be available in every room
- Workstations will be cleaned after computer use
- Rooms will be cleaned at the end of every exam
In addition, we would like to draw your attention to the following:
- If you have (mild) cold complaints, you cannot take an exam at Babel. You can reschedule free of charge up to 48 hours before the time of your exam.
- Have you had (mild) cold symptoms? You can take your exam if you have been symptom-free for 24 hours.
For those wishing to work as a doctor, dentist, pharmacist, psychotherapist, healthcare psychologist or clinical physicist, you must be registered in the BIG-register. Did you obtain your degree from outside the European Union or in Switzerland? Then your degree has to first be approved. For this, a declaration of professional competence is required. This also applies to clinical technologists.
To determine whether this declaration can be issued, the assessment procedure must be followed. This procedure consists of two parts, namely the General Knowledge and Skills Test (AKV) and the specialised knowledge test. The results of these tests determine whether you receive a declaration of professional competence or if additional education is required. When you receive the declaration of professional competence, you can apply for your registration on the BIG register.
General Knowledge and Skills Test (AKV)
The assessment procedure always starts with a General Knowledge and Skills test (AKV). The AKV tests your knowledge and skills of the Dutch and English language, the Dutch health care system and your ICT skills. In order to pass the AKV test, you need to:
- Master the Dutch language at B2/C1 level;
- Master the English language at B2/C1 level, which is comparable to IELTS 6.5 and TOEFL 600;
- Have knowledge of the organisation, legislation, ethics and culture of the Dutch Health Care system.
Professional competence assessment
If you have passed the AKV test , you may participate in the second part of the assessment procedure: a professional competence test. The results of the professional competence test determine whether you receive a declaration of professional competence or if additional education is required.
Did you receive your certificate from inside the EEA? Then you should do the Dutch language test instead of AKV test.
Also study the information about the AKV test for MBO and HBO