French level 1 (for non-Dutch speakers)
Level: Beginner (0/A2)
Are you planning to go to France and do you want to be able to say more than ‘une baguette’ and ‘deux croissants’? In September 2017 we are organizing a beginners’ course in French: level 1.
COVID-19: As long as the measures against the coronavirus are still in place, we will continue to host our classes in virtual classrooms. For the courses that start in the week of 20 April, we offer a free flexible booking policy.
Starting from 8 September 2020
About the French level 1 (for non-Dutch speakers) course
The course is centered around communication skills. You will learn to make yourself understood in everyday situations: saying hello, ordering in a café or restaurant, going shopping, asking for and giving directions, exchanging personal information. You will learn French from a teacher who not only speaks the language perfectly, but also knows the culture of the country well.
This French level 1 (for non-Dutch speakers) course is aimed to those who wish to achieve level A1- in a short period of time. Click on this link to do the test. You can also read the level descriptions.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to introduce themselves and conduct a brief conversation, asking and answering questions. Participants will also be able to write and read short texts, and will be able to produce the following grammatical areas both verbally and in written form: conjugation of the most important verbs in the present tense (être, avoir, vouloir, pouvoir), forms of politeness (je voudrais, j’aimerais). The course will also pay attention to cultural aspects: habits, customs and rules.
The activities vary from whole-group (with the teacher explaining), to working in pairs or small groups. At home, participants learn new words, look through their notes and do homework tasks.
As well as the book (Le nouveau taxi, see the right-hand side of the page for more information), we also use handouts, videos, listening texts and role plays. You can order all books required for the course on our special book page. Please ensure you bring your books to the first session.
This French level 1 (for non-Dutch speakers) course consists of 9 sessions at Babel in Utrecht. The advised self-study load is 2-3 hours per week.
- The language of instruction is as much French as possible during the lessons, but the teacher will also give instructions in English.
- As well as the book (Le nouveau taxi, see the right-hand side of the page for more information), we also use handouts, videos, listening texts and role plays. You can order all books required for the course on our special book page. Please ensure you bring your books to the first session.
- Active participation is preferred during the course meetings and ample time for self-study, preferably spread out evenly over the week. You will receive a certificate of participation if you attend at least 80% of the meetings. There is no final exam.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address. Your registration will then be processed automatically.
- Starting date: 8 September 2020
Day Date Start End Tuesday 8 September 2020 18:30 20:00 Tuesday 15 September 2020 18:30 20:00 Tuesday 22 September 2020 18:30 20:00 Tuesday 29 September 2020 18:30 20:00 Tuesday 6 October 2020 18:30 20:00 Tuesday 13 October 2020 18:30 20:00 Tuesday 20 October 2020 18:30 20:00 Tuesday 27 October 2020 18:30 20:00 Tuesday 3 November 2020 18:30 20:00