IELTS writing exam preparation (online)
Level: Intermediate (B1/B2), Advanced (C1/C2)
Would you like to learn and practice strategies that will help you perform better in the writing component of the IELTS test? This online course will dive into the ins and outs of the IELTS test writing section, allowing you to gain more insights into the test itself and your own writing process.
IELTS Writing Skills
This online course will equip you with the right tools to help you perform better in the writing component of the IELTS test. This course consists out of two different tracks academic or general. If you’re unsure which one to complete please take a look at this page.
This online course will give you the opportunity to practice the skill set you require, that is, learning to describe pictorial information (academic track) or write a short letter (general track).
You will also learn how to draft a sound and comprehensive essay (needed for both the academic and general tracks). We will help you achieve those goals by providing you with feedback on the written work that you will regularly submit throughout the course.
This course focuses on:
- Learning and practicing strategies to help you perform well in the written component of the IELTS test
- Honing your writing skills
- Developing critical thinking skills, in other words, analyzing exam questions and drafting adequate answers
Academic track (Writing)
- Improving your academic writing skills, i.e. learning how to describe pictorial information (graphs, charts, bar charts, diagrams)
- Learning and using the right vocabulary (linking words, language to help you describe trends)
- Writing a cohesive and sound essay.
General track (Writing)
- Improving your writing skills, i.e. learning how to write a concise and well-written letter
- Learning and using the right vocabulary (linking words, formal vs. informal language)
- Writing a cohesive and sound essay, that is, organizing and developing ideas in standard English
This course is aimed at users of English who have attained at least a B2 level. You can find out what level you have reached by taking our online placement test.
This course consists of 7 online modules. In each module, you will be presented with a variety of language activities such as multiple choice questions, gap-fillers and mix and match exercises. In addition, each module is packed with test strategies that you can use to help you perform better in the test. In order to make this course even more beneficial to you, you will have the opportunity to send in your own written work and will receive personal feedback from a certified English trainer. Instructions, assignments and feedback will be provided in English.
The course is aimed to last 7 weeks, however, you will have access to the course for a period of three months. This way, you are free to organize your time flexibly. The advised self-study load is 1-1.5 hours per week.
- You will receive a certificate if you’ve finished atleast 80% of the course and all of the hand-in assignments.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount.