Business English HR (blended)
Level: Intermediate (B1/B2)
The field of international HR is changing rapidly. Talent needs to be carefully managed and developed, employees require more and more flexibility, and organisations want to build more diverse and more international teams to support their work across the globe.
This course has been specifically designed to help you carry out a variety of HR-related tasks in this context and provide you with the up-to-date English language skills to do so. Since this is a blended course, you can take the online modules at your own pace and whenever it suits you. You will also have two full-day classroom sessions offered via the virtual classroom.
COVID-19: From the first of July onwards, several courses will be taught again at our teaching locations. This will be clearly specified on the course page. The other courses will be taught online in our virtual classroom.
Starting from 16 July 2020
About the course
This course will greatly benefit HR professionals working in international organisations who wish to be more confident when using English in their working life. Whether you need to conduct a performance review, write a short memo providing an update on a project or deal with a grievance at work, this course enables you to do so with confidence. It will give you the HR terminology and strategic conversational skills you need to succeed. You will get plenty of opportunity to practise the language and skills you learn, and you will receive regular feedback on your use of English and pronunciation from your trainer.
The course covers a wide range of HR issues:
- Recruitment and retention of staff
- Benefit packages
- Grievances and complaints procedures
- Interviews and appraisals
Materials are up-to-date and reflect contemporary issues in the field and the online video material addresses current issues such as diversity and inclusion. Being sensitive to cultural differences and knowing how to accommodate them is a recurring theme in the course. The course also offers you the opportunity to meet, work with, and share ideas with other HR professionals.
After completing this course:
- you will have expanded your HR-related vocabulary
- you will be a more fluent and accurate speaker in HR-related situations such as job interviews, appraisals, small presentations and introductory meetings.
- you will have improved your formal writing style for emails and memos.
- you will have mastered some useful communication skills (active listening, showing understanding, asking open questions, and agreeing and disagreeing with opinions and views)
- you will be more aware of intercultural issues and how to manage them in the workplace
- you will have improved your English pronunciation
Blended learning means that some of the content is delivered via online modules and some of the content is delivered face-to-face by a Babel English trainer. You need to commit to both parts of the course to succeed.
You will complete four online modules. These will cover the essential elements of the English language and skills that you need in your work. How and when you complete these is up to you! During your face-to-face sessions, your trainer can answer any questions you have about the online content.
You will have two full-day face-to-face interactive sessions with your trainer. These will be a chance to practise and receive feedback on your speaking skills and pronunciation. You will work on a range of practical activities, role-plays, dialogues and discussions about developments in your field.
The course consists of 4 online modules totalling 12 hours and two full days of face-to-face interactive sessions at Babel. The advised self-study load is 3 hours a week.
The course is aimed to last 6 weeks, however, you will have access to the course for a period of three months. This way, you are free to organise your time flexibly.
- The language of instruction is English.
- The course is taught by a highly qualified and experienced Babel English trainer
- The course is focused on developing both spoken fluency and accuracy in written communication, always with a HR-related focus.
- The course consists of 4 online modules (12 hours total) and two full days of face-to face interactive sessions (see schedule) via the virtual classroom.
- Participants will receive feedback from their trainer on their speaking and writing skills.
- You will receive a certificate of attendance if you have completed 3 of the 4 modules and attended both face-to-face sessions.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address so that we can process this for you.
- Starting date: 16 July 2020
Day Date Start End Thursday 23 July 2020 09:30 16:30 Thursday 13 August 2020 09:30 16:30