Academic Writing in English for students – The Basics
Level: Intermediate (B1/B2), Advanced (C1/C2)
Are you pursuing your bachelor’s degree or preparing yourself to do so? If you answered yes then you know that having excellent academic writing skills is essential for being successful. This course will help you to write better academic essays in English by providing you with the necessary tools.
Starting from 20 April 2020+ 1 more dates
About this course
This course aims to further develop your academic writing skills helping you to gain insights into what constitutes an excellent academic essay. Moreover, you will get the chance to produce your own written material and get appropriate and constructive feedback on the work you deliver.
During this course there will be individual assignments, but we will also be working in pairs, small groups or in plenary.
- grammatical structures
- academic vocabulary
- signalling words
- types of essays and their organisation
- paraphrasing and style
This course consists of 9 sessions at Babel in Utrecht. The advised self-study load is 2-3 hours a week.
- The language of instruction is English.
- You will be working with a book. You can order all books required for the course on our special book page. Please ensure you bring your books to the first session.
- Active participation is preferred during the course meetings and ample time for self-study, preferably spread out evenly over the week. You will receive a certificate of participation if you attend at least 80% of the meetings.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address. Your registration will then be processed automatically.
- Starting date: 20 April 2020
Day Date Start End Monday 20 April 2020 20:00 21:45 Monday 4 May 2020 20:00 21:45 Monday 11 May 2020 20:00 21:45 Monday 18 May 2020 20:00 21:45 Monday 25 May 2020 20:00 21:45 Monday 8 June 2020 20:00 21:45
- Starting date: 23 April 2020
Day Date Start End Thursday 23 April 2020 13:15 15:00 Thursday 30 April 2020 13:15 15:00 Thursday 7 May 2020 13:15 15:00 Thursday 14 May 2020 13:15 15:00 Thursday 28 May 2020 13:15 15:00 Thursday 4 June 2020 13:15 15:00