Academic Writing in English for students – Advanced
Level: Intermediate (B1/B2), Advanced (C1/C2)
In the course Academic Writing in English for students – Advanced, you will become familiar with the writing conventions needed in scientific academic writing. Moreover, you will produce and polish your own introduction and conclusion/discussion sections.
In order to ensure a safe learning environment for our students, we took measures against the spread of the coronavirus.
We did not (yet) plan in a new course.
This course is also offered tailor-made. Feel free to contact us for a quotation.
About this course
Over 60 % of master courses in the Netherlands are now taught in English. Master’s students therefore need to possess excellent English language skills.
In this course, you will become familiar with the writing conventions of scientific academic writing. Moreover, you will produce and polish your own introduction and conclusion sections.
The aim of the course is to enable you to produce a piece of written academic discourse, either a part of a research report or an essay, in the subject of your field. In addition, you will discover your own strengths and weaknesses in academic writing in English. You will learn how to improve your writing and use various self-study strategies, which will be beneficial for the rest of your academic career.
During this course, there will be individual assignments, but we will also be working in pairs, small groups or in plenary. You will receive feedback from each other and your language trainer.
This course focuses on:
- Studying two essential components of an academic report/essay: Introduction & Conclusion/Discussion
- Working on language needed for the different components of an academic report/essay:
- Passive voice
- Academic Vocabulary
- Depersonalized language
- Tenses used in a science research report
- Graphs & tables
This course consists of 6 sessions of 1 hour and 45 minutes at Babel in Utrecht. The advised self-study load is 2-3 hours a week.
- The language of instruction is English.
- Active participation is preferred during the course meetings and ample time for self-study, preferably spread out evenly over the week. You will receive a certificate of participation if you attend at least 80% of the meetings.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address. Your registration will then be processed automatically.