Academic English – Presenting
How can you make your academic presentation more effective? Getting the message across and keeping the audience involved requires specific skills and techniques. The practical course Academic English – Presenting will enable you to train and improve these presentation skills!
Starting from 12 September 2019
About the Academic English - Presenting course
The course Academic English – Presenting will focus on various aspects of giving a presentation: opening, closing, signposting the organisation, referring to visuals, handling questions, adopting the right body language, involving the audience. We will also look at useful language for the different aspects of an academic presentation in English. You will enrich your language to communicate more effectively and will work on making your own presentations stand out from the others.
This course aims at improving your academic presentation skills; you will receive feedback on your performances; and also observe and analyse the performances of other participants.
In addition to various language and skills activities, each participant gives a 10-minute presentation. There are two to three presentation sessions per meeting. For each of these sessions a chairperson may be appointed. You will receive feedback on your performances from both the group and the trainer.
This course consists of 6 sessions of 1 hour 45 minutes at Babel in Utrecht. The advised self-study load is 2-3 hours a week.
- The language of instruction is English.
- You will be working with a book. You can order all books required for the course on our special book page. Please ensure you bring your books to the first session.
- Active participation is preferred during the course meetings and ample time for self-study, preferably spread out evenly over the week. You will receive a certificate of participation if you attend at least 80% of the meetings.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 25% discount.
- Starting date: 12 September 2019
Day Date Start End Thursday 12 September 2019 20:00 21:45 Thursday 19 September 2019 20:00 21:45 Thursday 26 September 2019 20:00 21:45 Thursday 3 October 2019 20:00 21:45 Thursday 10 October 2019 20:00 21:45 Thursday 17 October 2019 20:00 21:45
- Starting date: 19 November 2019
Day Date Start End Tuesday 19 November 2019 11:00 12:45 Tuesday 26 November 2019 11:00 12:45 Tuesday 3 December 2019 11:00 12:45 Tuesday 10 December 2019 11:00 12:45 Tuesday 17 December 2019 11:00 12:45 Tuesday 7 January 2020 11:00 12:45
- Starting date: 13 February 2020
Day Date Start End Thursday 13 February 2020 20:00 21:45 Thursday 20 February 2020 20:00 21:45 Thursday 27 February 2020 20:00 21:45 Thursday 5 March 2020 20:00 21:45 Thursday 12 March 2020 20:00 21:45 Thursday 19 March 2020 20:00 21:45