Intermediate Dutch (B1) blended
Level: Intermediate (B1/B2)
The intermediate-level Dutch language course will get you speaking better Dutch and will give you more confidence when speaking to native Dutch speakers.
Starting from 12 February 2020
About the course Intermediate Dutch B1 (blended)
On this course, we move on from communicating about practical matters, such as placing an order, or talking about one’s health, to communicating about abstract ideas. This means that you will understand the main ideas of many Dutch texts and will be able to give your opinion on a variety of topics in Dutch.
Topics covered during the course will include studying, working, living together, housing arrangements, politics and art.
This Intermediate Dutch course is aimed to those who wish to achieve level B1 in a short period of time. You can start with level A2. You will need to test your level. This can be done through our online placement test.
By the end of the course:
- Students will be able to write effective texts in Dutch on topics they are familiar with
- Students will be able to use Dutch to describe their experiences, hopes and ambitions
- Students will be able to use Dutch to give a reason for certain events and give their opinion on straightforward social topics.
During the lessons, the focus will mainly be on speaking and listening activities, with explanations from the teacher on grammar and vocabulary. Students work in groups, pairs or alone. The language of instruction is Dutch. The teachers are experienced personal-coaching professionals, meaning that we make sure students can achieve their full potential.
- The Dutch B1 blended course has the same content as the regular B1 course, but the number of lessons is reduced by half: there are 17 lessons instead of 34, each lasting one hour and 45 minutes. The total length of the course is the same, meaning that students have one lesson per week instead of two. Alongside the lessons, students can access additional material from the online learning platform attached to the course. This course is thus a good alternative to the standard B1 course for those with a busy work schedule or those in full-time education.
- Since the number of lessons is smaller than on the standard course, more investment of time is needed in self-study or homework (8-10 hours per week). The self-study tasks (reading, writing, grammar and vocabulary) are described clearly on the online learning platform, which also contains the course plan and other materials.
- The course material we use is De sprong (‘The Leap’), a book which has been specially developed for learners with a higher educational level who have already mastered the basics of Dutch, but who are not yet ready to take Programme 2 of the State Exam in Dutch (Staatsexamen programma 2). Additional material can be found on the online learning platform, including a range of tasks which can be submitted online.
- Students’ progress in their skills of listening, reading, writing and speaking will be individually assessed halfway through the course. At the end of the course there are exams in writing and speaking.
- Students who attend a minimum of 80% of the lessons and who complete all homework tasks will receive a certificate.
- This course is suitable for students who have either:
- a certificate in Dutch for Beginners (level A);
- a Common European Framework (CEF) score of at least level A2 in language structures, writing and self-assessment; or
- a recommendation to study at level B1 after completion of our online placement test.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address. Your registration will then be processed automatically.
- Starting date: 12 February 2020
Day Date Start End Wednesday 12 February 2020 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 19 February 2020 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 26 February 2020 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 4 March 2020 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 11 March 2020 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 18 March 2020 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 25 March 2020 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 1 April 2020 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 8 April 2020 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 15 April 2020 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 22 April 2020 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 29 April 2020 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 6 May 2020 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 13 May 2020 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 20 May 2020 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 27 May 2020 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 3 June 2020 18:00 19:45