English Cambridge Preliminary (PET)
Level: Intermediate (B1/B2)
Would you like to develop your ability to communicate in English for practical tasks and situations and accomplish this in an effective way while making considerable progress? The intermediate course English Cambridge Preliminary (PET) will help you on your way.
All our on-site courses will be taught in the virtual classroom, at least until 20 April. For upcoming face-to-face courses we are working on the basis of several possible scenarios as regards the courses starting in the week of April 19th. These are outlined here for you.
We offer you a worry-free start to your course with our flexible booking policy.
See how Anouk found the virtual classroom here (in Dutch).
About the English Cambridge Preliminary (PET) course
Do you need to improve your English for work or for your studies? Would you like to prepare for an internationally recognized qualification? This fast-track course will help you on your way. We will use a great variety of exercises enabling you to work on all your language skills.
This intensive course (2 evenings per week) aims to improve listening, speaking, reading and writing skills at a faster pace. Self-study strategies will also be covered.
This course is aimed at those with a higher educational background who wish to achieve level B1+ in a short period of time. You can start with level A2+. The course focuses on:
- Increasing your knowledge of grammar: talking about your daily life, future plans and accomplishments; using just, already and yet correctly
- Expanding your vocabulary and idioms: learning to describe people’s appearance, personality, and interests. Moreover, learning to give advice and make appointments
- Increasing your general conversational skills: learning to make invitations and respond to invitations as well as asking polite questions and saying you don’t understand
- Developing better reading and comprehension skills: being able to read short texts about everyday topics
- Improving and correcting your pronunciation: saying days, months, and times; the final sound of regular verbs in the past tense
- Improving your listening skills: learning to follow basic conversations
- Developing your writing skills: writing basic letters and emails
- Acquiring self-study skills.
Conversation practice about everyday topics will increase your vocabulary and fluency. Grammar revision will make you more confident about your accuracy in using English. This course will also provide you with the knowledge you need for more advanced courses and for the Cambridge Preliminary (PET) exam.
During the course, the focus is on speaking and practical, hands-on exercises using task-based activities. Grammar revision and vocabulary work are covered in class and on a self-study basis.
You will be working with the Cambridge Objective Preliminary book and workbook. You can order all books required for the course on our special book page. Please ensure you bring your books to the first session.
This course consists of 18 sessions at Babel in Utrecht. The advised self-study load is 6-8 hours a week.
- This course is offered both on-site and in the virtual classroom. You can enrol for your preferred option using the buttons above. All our on-site classes are taught in a small group. You can find an overview of all the measures we have taken against the coronavirus here.
- The language of instruction is English.
- You will be working with the Cambridge Objective Preliminary book and workbook. You can order all books required for the course on our special book page. Please ensure you bring your books to the first session.
- Active participation is preferred during the course meetings and ample time for self-study, preferably spread out evenly over the week. You will receive a certificate of participation if you attend at least 80% of the meetings.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address. Your registration will then be processed automatically.
- Starting date: 20 April 2021
Day Date Start End Tuesday 20 April 2021 18:15 20:00 Thursday 22 April 2021 18:15 20:00 Thursday 29 April 2021 18:15 20:00 Tuesday 4 May 2021 18:15 20:00 Thursday 6 May 2021 18:15 20:00 Tuesday 11 May 2021 18:15 20:00 Tuesday 18 May 2021 18:15 20:00 Thursday 20 May 2021 18:15 20:00 Tuesday 25 May 2021 18:15 20:00 Thursday 27 May 2021 18:15 20:00 Tuesday 1 June 2021 18:15 20:00 Thursday 3 June 2021 18:15 20:00 Tuesday 8 June 2021 18:15 20:00 Thursday 10 June 2021 18:15 20:00 Tuesday 15 June 2021 18:15 20:00 Thursday 17 June 2021 18:15 20:00 Tuesday 22 June 2021 18:15 20:00 Thursday 24 June 2021 18:15 20:00