English Cambridge First (FCE)
Level: Intermediate (B1/B2)
Would you like to develop your English language skills and achieve a solid intermediate English level? During the interactive course English Cambridge First (FCE), we will help you on your way! You can also take this course if you wish to prepare for the Cambridge First Certificate exam.
During the lockdown (at least until 2 March), all our on-site courses will be taught in the virtual classroom. As soon as it is possible, we will switch back to teaching on location. So, you can enrol without any problems for an on-site language course. We offer you a worry-free start to your course with our flexible booking policy.
See how Anouk found the virtual classroom here (in Dutch).
About the English Cambridge First (FCE) course
We will use a great variety of exercises and classroom activities to work on all your language skills and help you to reach a B2 level.
This course aims to improve your listening, speaking, reading and writing skills, and learn self-study strategies. The course is also suitable for those who wish to sit the Cambridge First Certificate exam.
This English Cambridge First is aimed at those who wish to reach level B2 in a short period of time and for those we wishes to take the Cambridge First exam. You can start with level B1+. Please note: this course follows after English level 4. You are not required to have followed the Level 4 course but completing the English placement test is strongly recommended. The course focuses on:
- Increasing your general conversational skills: talking about emotions, the workplace, the environment; reporting what others say; practicing ways to speculate and deduce
- Expanding your vocabulary: using new word combinations relating hobbies, city life, music; talking about hopes and dreams and other abstract or hypothetical ideas
- Improving your pronunciation: receive feedback on spoken production; final sound of irregular verbs in past tense
- Increasing your knowledge of grammar: reporting, using conditional structures, perfect tenses, passive structures, the order of adjectives
- Developing your reading skills and acquiring self-study skills;
- Improving your listening skills: following conversations and discussions about more abstract topics
- Honing your writing skills: writing short reports, essays, articles
The focus in the course sessions is on speaking and practical exercises with an emphasis on cooperative work and task-based activities. Grammar revision and vocabulary work are covered both in class and on a self-study basis.
You will be working with the Cambridge Objective First Certificate book. You can order all books required for the course on our special book page. Please ensure you bring your books to the first session.
This English Cambridge First course consists of 18 sessions at Babel in Utrecht. The advised self-study load is 2-3 hours per session.
- This course is offered both on-site and in the virtual classroom. You can enrol for your preferred option using the buttons above. All our on-site classes are taught in a small group. You can find an overview of all the measures we have taken against the coronavirus here.
- The language of instruction is English. Active participation is essential if you want to benefit most from this course. Also allow yourself plenty of time for self-study.
- You will receive a certificate of participation if you attend at least 14 meetings.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address. Your registration will then be processed automatically.
This course is included in two different programmes. You can choose between meeting once or twice a week:
- Starting date: 19 April 2021 (Virtual Classroom)
Day Date Start End Monday 19 April 2021 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 21 April 2021 18:00 19:45 Monday 26 April 2021 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 28 April 2021 18:00 19:45 Monday 3 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 5 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Monday 10 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 12 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Monday 17 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 19 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 26 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Monday 31 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 2 June 2021 18:00 19:45 Monday 7 June 2021 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 9 June 2021 18:00 19:45 Monday 14 June 2021 18:00 19:45 Wednesday 16 June 2021 18:00 19:45 Monday 21 June 2021 18:00 19:45
- Starting date: 20 April 2021 (Utrecht)
Day Date Start End Tuesday 20 April 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 22 April 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 29 April 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 4 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 6 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 11 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 18 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 20 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 25 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 27 May 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 1 June 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 3 June 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 8 June 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 10 June 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 15 June 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 17 June 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 22 June 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 24 June 2021 18:00 19:45