Cambridge English First (FCE)
Level: Intermediate (B1/B2)
Would you like to develop your English language skills and achieve a solid intermediate English level? During the interactive course English Cambridge First (FCE), we will help you on your way! You can also take this course if you wish to prepare for the Cambridge First Certificate exam.
€ 440,00Sign up
Starting from 6 July 2021
About the English Cambridge First (FCE) course
We will use a great variety of exercises and classroom activities to work on all your language skills and help you to reach a B2 level.
This course aims to improve your listening, speaking, reading and writing skills, and learn self-study strategies. The course is also suitable for those who wish to sit the Cambridge First Certificate exam.
This English Cambridge First is aimed at those who wish to reach level B2 in a short period of time and for those we wishes to take the Cambridge First exam. You can start with level B1+. Please note: this course follows after English level 4. You are not required to have followed the Level 4 course but completing the English placement test is strongly recommended. The course focuses on:
- Increasing your general conversational skills: talking about emotions, the workplace, the environment; reporting what others say; practicing ways to speculate and deduce
- Expanding your vocabulary: using new word combinations relating hobbies, city life, music; talking about hopes and dreams and other abstract or hypothetical ideas
- Improving your pronunciation: receive feedback on spoken production; final sound of irregular verbs in past tense
- Increasing your knowledge of grammar: reporting, using conditional structures, perfect tenses, passive structures, the order of adjectives
- Developing your reading skills and acquiring self-study skills;
- Improving your listening skills: following conversations and discussions about more abstract topics
- Honing your writing skills: writing short reports, essays, articles
The focus in the course sessions is on speaking and practical exercises with an emphasis on cooperative work and task-based activities. Grammar revision and vocabulary work are covered both in class and on a self-study basis.
You will be working with the Cambridge Objective First Certificate book. You can order all books required for the course on our special book page. Please ensure you bring your books to the first session.
This English Cambridge First course consists of 18 sessions at Babel in Utrecht. The advised self-study load is 2-3 hours per session.
- This course is offered both on-site and in the virtual classroom. You can enrol for your preferred option using the buttons above. All our on-site classes are taught in a small group. You can find an overview of all the measures we have taken against the coronavirus here.
- The language of instruction is English. Active participation is essential if you want to benefit most from this course. Also allow yourself plenty of time for self-study.
- You will receive a certificate of participation if you attend at least 14 meetings.
- If you work or study at Utrecht University you will receive a 15% discount. Please register with your UU email address. Your registration will then be processed automatically.
This course is included in two different programmes. You can choose between meeting once or twice a week:
- Starting date: 6 July 2021
Day Date Start End Tuesday 6 July 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 8 July 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 13 July 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 15 July 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 20 July 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 22 July 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 27 July 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 29 July 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 3 August 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 5 August 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 10 August 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 12 August 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 17 August 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 19 August 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 24 August 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 26 August 2021 18:00 19:45 Tuesday 31 August 2021 18:00 19:45 Thursday 2 September 2021 18:00 19:45